Webcam 1 Legend
Mt. Whitney Webcam 2

Webcam 2 Legend
Mt. Whitney Timelapse
Owens Valley North

Owens Valley North Legend
Owens Valley South

Owens Valley South Legend
Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
Mt. Whitney Portal Store Message Board
Jump to new posts Re: 2024 by Richard P. @ 05/14/24 08:01 AM

A few more random comments from yesterday's climb: -Finally a somewhat successful climb...I made it back down before the WPS closing to talk to the Crew...Success only recognized if a burger can be ordered... -Hiked from the Cascade Turn to Mirror
Jump to new posts Re: 2024 by Guylaine @ 05/14/24 06:27 AM

Thank you so much - I found the following (http://www.summitpost.com/docs/BobR/Whitney_water_trail.pdf), we will use cautious and stay safe. I appreciate all the info Richard.
Jump to new posts Re: 2024 by Jim F @ 05/14/24 06:03 AM

To find Bob's Water Sources documents on this Message Board: Go to the topic WPSMB Member Photo Albums Links, then to Bob R. At the end of his numerous contributions, there are two of is albums, one for water sources for the Main Trail and one for t
Jump to new posts Re: 2024 by Richard P. @ 05/14/24 04:17 AM

Adding a little info...there is a Spring flowing a few hundred yards prior to Outpost and also the Cascade at the far end of the camp. If we ask nicely, maybe we can get Jeff M to provide a link to Bob's Water Sources document.
Jump to new posts Re: 2024 by Richard P. @ 05/13/24 07:31 PM

The Summit Marmot is out-and-about...Looks pretty fat already...
Jump to new posts Re: 2024 by Richard P. @ 05/13/24 07:29 PM

The North Fork today... BTW: more sad news...A climber on the E-Ledges was hit by a rock ...he didn't survive...
Jump to new posts Re: 2024 by Richard P. @ 05/13/24 07:25 PM

I got up to Trail Camp later than I wanted to and wasn't willing to give up a summit (in case The Switchbacks didn't go)... Here are a few photos (comments below): Zoom in and you'll see that there is a boot track on the outside of The Cables..
Jump to new posts Re: 20 years old by Scott M. @ 05/13/24 04:54 PM

Just a little past Eric - Member #80 checking in and checking the board regularly. Joined 12-28-02. Scott M. in Aspendell/Bishop, CA
Jump to new posts Re: 20 years old by Eric @ 05/13/24 11:00 AM

Member #75 checking in! 20 years, wow. Glad we're hanging in. I am planning High Sierra Trail this summer with my 17 year old son, so glad that the forum is still here.
Jump to new posts Re: 2024 by Brett Williams @ 05/13/24 09:34 AM

There is running water at trail meadow, about .5 mile from trail camp. I carried 3L in a bladder in my pack and an empty Nalgene bottle. I filled the Nalgene at trail meadow and replenished another 1L in my bladder. This got me to the summit and back
Jump to new posts Re: 2024 by Guylaine @ 05/13/24 06:31 AM

Let me know how it goes, we are hiking May 22-25. Happy hiking!
Jump to new posts Re: 2024 by Guylaine @ 05/13/24 06:28 AM

Hi Brett - great post, I appreciate it so much. I have permits to hike May 22-25. Based on the below there are enough running water so we don't need to carry extra from portal to outpost?
Jump to new posts Re: Conditions On Baldy by Shin @ 05/12/24 05:53 PM

Snow is melting very fast. All chutes in the bowl lost good snow to climb. The trail is dry to Ski hut. One section of trail below Ski hut was blocked off by fallen tree. The massive snow bridges with 4-6 foot deep developed along the creek crossing
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Mt. Whitney Weather Links

White Mountain/
Barcroft Station

Elev 12,410’

Upper Tyndall Creek
Elev 11,441’

Crabtree Meadows
Elev 10,700’

Cottonwood Lakes
Elev 10,196’

Lone Pine