Webcam 1 Legend
Mt. Whitney Webcam 2

Webcam 2 Legend
Mt. Whitney Timelapse
Owens Valley North

Owens Valley North Legend
Owens Valley South

Owens Valley South Legend
Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
Mt. Whitney Portal Store Message Board
Jump to new posts Re: 2024 by maagnificent @ Today at 08:07 PM

Tried to get to the summit today. Started at 2am and got to the switchbacks around 8, well today it was a wall of snow more than anything. Got two third of the way and realized that's way beyond my skills, turned back and slipped uncontrollably for a
Jump to new posts Re: 2024 by Richard P. @ Today at 02:16 PM

SO many people who don't make the summit don't bother coming back to explain their experience...thanks for doing it... And, glad the Bug bit...
Jump to new posts Re: 2024 by socaljohnson @ Today at 01:28 PM

Posting an update from our summit attempt from Sunday! First timer here. You never truly know what mother nature has in mind. There was a big storm Saturday which was supposed to bleed into Sunday morning. We ended up giving it a go and made the ca
Jump to new posts Re: 2024 by Richard P. @ Today at 06:37 AM

The incredible melt continues... I'd call it easy for Tourists to get to Lone Pine Lake now with a little bit of care on the few remaining snowfields...you will be on snow in the forest leading to the Junction... Anyone with experience walking on s
Jump to new posts Re: 2024 by SydneyLouWho @ Yesterday at 11:47 AM

We are planning to hike next week when it's (hopefully) looking even warmer! Would be very curious to hear from you about what the conditions are!
Jump to new posts Re: 2024 by maagnificent @ Yesterday at 06:15 AM

Hello All, Hiking to the summit tomorrow (the 7th), and worried that the streams may be a challenge to cross (or get me wet) - how deep could they be? should I prep for it in a certain way? thanks!
Jump to new posts Re: 2024 by AFM @ 05/05/24 10:37 AM

Thanks. It seems that we received some bad information last year.
Jump to new posts Re: 2024 by AFM @ 05/05/24 10:36 AM

Thanks. It seems that we received some bad information last year.
Jump to new posts Re: 2024 by Doug Sr @ 05/05/24 09:38 AM

System moved out over night . cold air mass yet to clear but should today or next few days. Check webcam
Jump to new posts Re: 2024 by Richard P. @ 05/05/24 07:47 AM

https://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/upload/Final-NoYear-Allowed-Food-Storage-Containers.pdf For SEKI
Jump to new posts Re: 2024 by philxor @ 05/05/24 07:15 AM

Originally Posted By AFMThanks for all the information. Hoping to make it to the top in late August. Could you please provide your understanding on the use and approval of Ursacks in the Whitney Zone. Thanks in advance. Off topic but are Ursacks
Jump to new posts Re: 2024 by Doug Sr @ 05/04/24 03:08 PM

First look at the webcam , snow moved in and strong wind getting colder so a night time start would be tough. Weather reports say -3 with wind chill , not that serious if layered but walking in the wind beats you down quickly , hard to balance and w
Jump to new posts Re: 2024 by socaljohnson @ 05/04/24 02:42 PM

Hiked out at onion valley today. Great acclimation. Anyone hiking tomorrow? Main concerns are wind at the summit. Anyone have experience in these conditions?
Jump to new posts Re: 2024 by ComradeBear @ 05/04/24 12:59 PM

Richard, you are awesome! Thank you for the photos once again, and congrats on another summit! And thank you for relaying the information gathered from the hiker who went up the MR. Appreciate the snapshot of Iceberg lake in the backcountry recon ph
Jump to new posts Re: 2024 by AFM @ 05/04/24 09:23 AM

OKay. Thanks. I did by phone last year and was informed that Ursacks were allowed but not recommended. So we used on and a ranger told us the opposite. I will do some more investigation.
Jump to new posts Re: 2024 by Richard P. @ 05/04/24 06:54 AM

Originally Posted By kpatzerSecondly, I have a BIG question to ask: *Do I need to try to find a self-arrest/ice axe training course?* I can't answer that question for you...you need to know how to use the tool...whether that is articles/videos/expe
Jump to new posts Re: 2024 by Richard P. @ 05/04/24 06:26 AM

Backcountry Recon Photos:
Jump to new posts Re: 2024 by Richard P. @ 05/04/24 06:22 AM

UPDATE FOR 05.03.2024 ===================== -Amazing amount of melt at both the switchbacks up to Bighorn Park...you can now follow the trail...some on top of snow drifts...you still will have to do some off-trail on the upper portion... -Amazing amo
Jump to new posts Re: 2024 by Doug Sr @ 05/04/24 06:21 AM

AFM This is a FS rule question , opinions or hear say doesn't answer the question. Contact the Inyo National directly. Thanks
Jump to new posts Re: 2024 by AFM @ 05/04/24 12:36 AM

Thanks for all the information. Hoping to make it to the top in late August. Could you please provide your understanding on the use and approval of Ursacks in the Whitney Zone. Thanks in advance. Off topic but are Ursacks okay in the Whitney Zone
Jump to new posts Re: 2024 by Doug Sr @ 05/03/24 08:23 PM

Great first day ,warm . morning turned cooler about 2 pm had that cold air shift so something is moving in very lite wind in the Portal but may pick-up tonight . First rescue by noon lost the trail hikers had meet the person and a group was he
Jump to new posts Re: 2024 by kpatzer @ 05/03/24 05:32 PM

Hi Richard! Thanks for your speculation on those pictures, they are a lot more useful than just either of them by themselves. Secondly, I have a BIG question to ask: *Do I need to try to find a self-arrest/ice axe training course?* I'm still try
Jump to new posts Road Status as of May 3, 2024 by paul @ 05/03/24 07:43 AM

In looking at the Inyo County Road site, the road to Horseshoe Meadows is now open to the last gate which is about a third to half mile from the Cottonwood Trail. As Richard has pointed out, Onion Valley Road is open to the trailhead. Looks like I
Jump to new posts Re: 2024 by Doug Sr @ 05/03/24 06:34 AM

Store opens today 9 AM first day of year 37 or is it groundhog day! Detours in place to avoid the closed lower section of the Portal road, 3 in fact 2 paved 1 dirt The e ride is Tuttle Creek Rd narrow and room for 2 cars , narrow and not good
Jump to new posts Re: 2024 by ComradeBear @ 05/02/24 04:36 PM

Awesome! Thank you Jarod & Jeff for the information!! And congrats on the summit! I won't be getting in there until next week at earliest, so hopefully all the messy snow bridge nonsense will clear out by then.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mt. Whitney Weather Links

White Mountain/
Barcroft Station

Elev 12,410’

Upper Tyndall Creek
Elev 11,441’

Crabtree Meadows
Elev 10,700’

Cottonwood Lakes
Elev 10,196’

Lone Pine