Webcam 1 Legend
Mt. Whitney Webcam 2

Webcam 2 Legend
Mt. Whitney Timelapse
Owens Valley North

Owens Valley North Legend
Owens Valley South

Owens Valley South Legend
Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
Mt. Whitney Portal Store Message Board
Re: Trail / Cottonwood Passes Loop - 05.17.2024 by paul @ Yesterday at 04:09 PM

It would be nice if the packers cleared away the snow at the Pass. I remember last year when I got to the pass there must have been 7 or 8 feet of snow. I came back a week or so later and there was a trench carved out of the snow for the pack trains.
Re: 2024 by Richard P. @ Yesterday at 04:06 PM

http://www.mountwhitneyforum.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=106207#Post106207 I stated in another thread...there is a good track (essentially) following the PCT...(Ranting: Unlike the Whitney area, the PCT'ers are smart enough to know that i
Re: 2024 by Doug Sr @ Yesterday at 02:31 PM

Richard P posted some photos a day or so of that area. I am reading you might go over Crabtree Pass ,The north side top could be a cornice this early,coming up from the crabtree lakes to the sandhill could be a push. Many PCT hikers doing Whitney
Re: 2024 by Patrick R. @ Yesterday at 12:14 PM

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum. I'm heading to Whitney from Cottonwood Meadows with a friend (multi day trip): we start on Tuesday 5/21/24. We will be going via Rock Creek and up the Dreaded Sandhill. Has anyone been here recently? What are the sn
Re: 2024 by Patrick R. @ Yesterday at 12:12 PM

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum. I'm heading to Whitney from Cottonwood Meadows with a friend (multi day trip): we start on Tuesday 5/21/24. We will be going via Rock Creek and up the Dreaded Sandhill. Has anyone been here recently? What are the sn
Re: Trail / Cottonwood Passes Loop - 05.17.2024 by Richard P. @ Yesterday at 11:05 AM

I think the Packers may help you out (like last year)... I'm sure they'd like to make all the money they can over Memorial Day...maybe they'll run a few Mule Trains up to Cottonwood Pass this week... Of course, that depends on the FS...can't unders
Re: 2024 by ComradeBear @ Yesterday at 10:48 AM

Yes, his name was Matt, and he was wondering if there was anybody up at the peak as he had seen two snowboards and a pack sitting at the notch. I had to explain the incident that took place the week prior. As for the conditions, he said that the sno
Re: Trail / Cottonwood Passes Loop - 05.17.2024 by paul @ Yesterday at 08:55 AM

Richard, the timing couldn't be more perfect. I am heading up for Memorial Weekend, well I'll be at the Portal from Tuesday to the following Monday. I had hoped to head up to Trail, Cottonwood and Kearsarge Pass but it appears that the snowmelt has
Re: Permits by Brett Williams @ Yesterday at 05:25 AM

Hey there - I think if you hike overnight you’ll be exhausted and it will be too much time. You want to time it so that you’re hitting the chute or switchbacks at first light. Our goal was to summit by 11 and we arrived at 1030. We left at 2am.
Re: Permits by Richard P. @ Yesterday at 03:07 AM

Adding in a little more info... 06.13 is nearly a Month Of Melt away... The Switchbacks will probably be open...with packed snow on some... The Headwall above Trailside Meadow (below Trail Camp) will probably still have snow on a fairly steep travers
Re: Permits by Richard P. @ 05/17/24 06:16 PM

Read Brett Williams' story... http://www.mountwhitneyforum.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=106198#Post106198 His group was 1st Timers who did it right. 3) No, but I'd bet you can get an overnight if you want one... 4) You should carry enoug
Trail / Cottonwood Passes Loop - 05.17.2024 by Richard P. @ 05/17/24 06:03 PM

The Forest Service Gate is still locked... There are plenty of tracks all the way around the loop, but there's still a lot of snow to deal with. It's essentially straight up to Trail Pass...around to Cottonwood Pass and straight down to the Parking
Re: 2024 by Jim F @ 05/17/24 05:28 PM

ComradeBear, Thanks for the TR! In your photo of the Final 400, a climber is seen and getting close to topping out. Did you have a chance to talk to him? If so, did the climber make any comments on conditions on the MR? Much appreciated. Jim
Permits by rima888 @ 05/17/24 11:53 AM

Hi folks - new to the forum and already found so much helpful information for a first timer! Have a couple minor questions about permits. Our group's one day permit is for June 13... 1) Is it possible to start late on June 12th (e.g. around 8pm?) to
Mt. Whitney Weather Links

White Mountain/
Barcroft Station

Elev 12,410’

Upper Tyndall Creek
Elev 11,441’

Crabtree Meadows
Elev 10,700’

Cottonwood Lakes
Elev 10,196’

Lone Pine
Elev. 3,727’